Hoping for some help here. I wrote a program that used the EmailSend function using google smtp protocol in 2018. It sent daily emails and until it went offline in November 2019. Our customer just notified us that they want it to start sending emails again. I logged into the station and found that the emails are no longer working and I only get a "Error:failed to connect" under the server response.
I've checked my google account to make sure that "less secure device" access is still turned on. Outside of that, I don't know what else to look for.
Does anyone else have this working?
Note: I am aware of the EmailRelay command and it does not fit the needs of this project. The email needs to come from our corporate google account.
Did you check the google gmail smtp settings of your logger vs what the google smtp server expects?
The EmailSend help (CRBasic Editor) contains this as well, or is that where you get "Error, failed to connect" from?
"An IPTrace code of 4 in the datalogger's settings table can be used to analyze messages during an email send or receive to troubleshoot errors."
Can you post your EmailSend command (without user/password)?
Have you tried an email client (like Thunderbird) to send a test email to that smtp server to see that it works and the logger is to blame?
Thanks for the reply. I found the error in my setup. The station was setup with both ethernet and a serial server connection to a cellular modem (RV50x). This was for failover/redundancy. Looks like someone on site unplugged the ethernet connection to plug in a local connection. The emailsend function requires the IP stack of the datalogger and can not work over the serial server port. We were not aware of the disconnect because our priority connection was over the serial server port.
@kcopeland, perhaps you're aware already but just in case: enabling two-factor authentication for your Google account will also enable the feature to create individual application-specific passwords. It's a little more work but much more secure.