Our full technical support staff does not monitor this forum. If you need assistance from a member of our staff, please submit your question from the Ask a Question page.

Log in or register to post/reply in the forum.

Sensor recommendation for wall cavity insulation moisture content

mwassmer Aug 19, 2013 04:34 PM

Does anyone know of an appropriate sensor for measuring the moisture content of wall cavity insulation materials such as cellulose, fiberglass, or straw bales?

Is the CS616-L (or one of the other CSI moisture sensors) a good choice for this type of application, or is it specially designed for soil moisture?

BTW, we are using a CR1000 datalogger.

aps Aug 21, 2013 03:29 AM

The CS616 or CS650 sensor can be used in this type of measurement but would need a specific user calibration for the material being used.

I would say though, that unless you have very poorly constructed walls, the amount of moisture in the cavity insulation should be generally be low and you may be pushing the limits of sensitivity of the CS616, unless of course you are looking for water ingress type of events.

A more sensitive measure of moisture in walls is to insert and seal a humidity sensor into the wall and measure the equilibrium humidity. This is commonly done in building studies and preservation projects. The choice of probe to use depends on budget and how wet the walls are. If the walls are damp then the equilibrium humdity will be very high and you need a sensor that is more accurate near saturation. These tend to be more expensive.

shahabiyan Jul 15, 2020 04:09 AM

This post is under review.

Log in or register to post/reply in the forum.